Welcome to the #1 Honda Civic Forum and Honda Civic community dedicated to Honda Civic owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Honda Civic Forum today!

Ford Focus RS vs. Honda Civic Type R vs. Volkswagen Golf R vs. Subaru WRX STI

State
MI
Country
United States

The 2018 Honda Civic Type R is easy to dismiss on paper. Its 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 makes "only" 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, about average for the segment. And what criminal would send that power to only the front wheels? That would've been considered heresy back when I was a kid, but Honda has good reason: Front-drive with a limited-slip differential keeps both weight and the center of gravity low, with the ultimate aim of making it more fun to drive. It also makes the Type R cheaper. Its $34,990 as-tested price is the lowest of our four.

Despite the lack of all-wheel drive, the Civic Type R certainly looks like it belongs. The Gundam styling features a wide variety of functional aero add-ons, such as a massive rear wing and hood scoop-which, fun fact, cools the computers that run the Type R's electronic adaptive suspension, not the engine-and embellishments such as red accents and three center-mounted exhaust outlets. Its styling is certainly more polarizing than our other three pocket rockets; I love it, but Evans said the Type R "screams 20-something asshat." Hi there!

Despite Evans' (or my) lack of taste, there's no denying that this car can scoot. It makes everything feel absolutely effortless-natural even. The Civic's Ohio-built engine is a little monster; it makes linear power off the line before finding a second wind as it blasts from 3,000 rpm to its redline. The clutch and six-speed manual action are also best in our test. "This might be the goldilocks of the group; it just does everything well," Walton said. "I learned where the power lived-it comes on strong just over 3,000 rpm and gets better from there-and used it to my advantage."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/hond...gen-golf-r-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-comparison/